Wednesday, July 8, 2009

So Now I Live at a Surf Camp in Costa Rica...

I live in Playa Hermosa, just north of Santa Teresa, on the Nicoya Peninsula of Costa Rica. Though called a "camp", Shaka isn't necessarily for children. Most of the people who come to visit are adults-- beginner to intermediate level surfers who are looking to improve their skills at one of the most beautiful beach breaks in the world.



It's not a big place-- just four cabinas and a rancho.






This is my room-- an office just off the main area.


Yep, this is where the magic happens.... (By "magic" I mean, "I sleep alone every night in a twin bed with one blanket and a tricycle in the corner"...)

PS Neither of those surfboards are mine.

But this one is:

It's a 7'6" Epoxy board, shaped just up the road in Mal Pais by a guy named Andy Seidensticker. On the bottom, it says, in pencil, "1/2/06, 7'6" For: Sarah". I bought it for $125 in town ($180 with a rashguard and leash). I call it "El Platano del Mar." That means "The Banana of the Sea". It's a great board.

The rancho is where I spend most of my time.


40 feet tall and 30 feet in diameter, it was constructed by a 6-man crew from Nicaragua who made the entire thing by hand. It took 8 days.


These mushrooms grow in the lawn; however, they aren't edible. The mushrooms of the magic variety grow on piles of cow dung, immediately after the rains. I've never eaten them-- but I've been told they work.


I call this picture "A Dog, a Red Stool, and a Surfboard."



Which dog, you ask? Why it's Pequeña Una! (Not to be confused with her smaller black sister, Pequeña Dos...)


This is another dog, Teo, doing what he does best.


And me, doing the same!


Sushi is great....


Especially when it's made by your friends!



The family that rolls sushi together--stays together.


This is Christa Mo'e-- she's one of the owners of the camp. This picture was taken by her daughter, Ki'ili-- age 4.


So was this one.


This is Atua and Ki'ili.


This is me and Monica. Monica lives up the street.


And me and Melania. She is Monica's roommate (and also my friend).


This is Monica and her friend Nadine. Nadine and her family came to visit from the OTHER Playa Hermosa-- the one near Jaco.


Kids: cute and sweet by day...



But never-- EVER-- feed them after midnight....

1 comment:

Wendy said...

WOOW great experience A lot of people ask me how I like living in Costa Rica. My answer is, it was the best decision that I made in my life. I came to Costa Rica 7 years ago on a vacation and quickly I fell in love with the beauty of the country and the hospitality of the people here. I couldn't wait to come back. I started coming here about 4 times per year and always had a great time and i didn't want to leave. Two years ago, I decided to leave Arizona and come to live in Paradise. I cannot tell you how happy I am that I made that decision. Today, I wake up next to the ocean and run on the beach every morning. I eat the most delicious fruits, vegetables and fresh seafood. My stress levels are much lower than when I was living in the States and the potential here for investing, truly is unlimited. The best part of living here is showing our clients this country. I really don't feel like I have a job for the first time in my life. The joy I receive when I see the look on people's faces when they get into the warm water of the Pacific Ocean is truly priceless. For those of you that have come and discovered paradise, you know what I am talking about. For those of you that are on the way, I can't wait to get you here. And to those who are thinking about Costa Rica, please do yourself a favor and come down. You will have the time of your life. lots in costa rica